Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Hollow Argument

I think part of the problems with motivating students (and adolescents/children in general) is that there are a huge range of arguments that adults make, that the younger folk may actually have a valid counterargument for, but are unable to express it because it shows a lack of respect for the adult. An example of this happened today in school, as I was struggling to explain to a student why it was useful / important to complete Living Environment labs, and one of the immediate arguments that came to mind was that “You need it to graduate”. This is a circular argument, which kids can intuitively spot in a heartbeat –

Student: “Why, as an adult, do you feel that it’s important for me to take this class?”

Teacher: “Because you need it to graduate.”

Student: “Why do I need to graduate?”

Teacher: “Because the State mandates it.”

Student: “Why does the State mandate that I must graduate from high school?”

Teacher: “Because they feel that an education is the foundation necessary to become a functioning part of our society.”

Student: “How did they arrive at this conclusion?”

Teacher: “It was voted into Law by our government.”

Student: “So, if I may paraphrase, a group of adults representing a larger group of adults voted this mandate into Law because they felt that it was important for me to have this education before entering the adult world?”

Teacher: “Yes.”

Student: “And if I may simplify my prior statement, it’s because a group of adults felt that it was important?”

Teacher: “Yes.”

Student: “So you, an adult, are telling me that the reason it’s important for me to take this class, is because a group of adults felt that it was important to take this class?”

Teacher: “Oh.”

Now, most students would tend to keep it at a less detailed level:

Student: “Why, as an adult, do you feel that it’s important for me to take this class?”

Teacher: “Because you need it to graduate.”

Student: “That sounds like bullsh*t to me…”

--

Oh well. Gotta find some more authentic reasons…

No comments: